embracing the ordinary:
The theme for me over the last few months, that keeps coming up through prayer, scripture, books and JD’s sermon series at The Summit (you can listen at www.summitrdu.com) is God’s desire to use humble and ordinary people to show his greatness. I understand this truth and have learned it through many experiences and have been confronted by it at many times throughout my life – it is a part of my journey, you’d think I’d get it. Yet I still desire to be extraordinary, in fact my whole life I have tried to resist ordinariness. God is exposing my sinful and rebellious heart and reminding me of my continual need of a savior. God has chosen the weak things and people of this world to display his greatness. He wants the ordinary so that he can do the extraordinary and he’s not looking for me to try to “take it from here”. This has been a very hard few months, but I see God’s kindness in leading me toward repentance and I see his love for me by bringing me to a place where I have to depend on Him through others (you) to meet all of our needs. This is humbling. This does not make me feel extraordinary, but small and unnecessary which is good because it exposes my unhealthy need for validation and my desire to find my value in something other than God’s extraordinary love. I think the point is that God is extraordinary and doing extraordinary things all over the world. In fact, we have been experiencing him meeting our financial needs through some extraordinary ways, displaying his supremacy over everything– including the health care industry – now that’s a story! So, I’m learning to embrace being ordinary and to be amazed by my extraordinary savior – Jesus. (1 Corinthians 1, 2 Corinthians 4 and 12)
No comments:
Post a Comment