interesting quotes...

It comes more natural to us to shout the gospel at people from a distance than to involve ourselves deeply in their lives, to think ourselves into their culture and their problems, and to feel with them in their pains. Yet this implication of our Lord’s example is inescapable. - John Stott

Monday, June 20, 2011

June Newsletter...

life in Durham
It has been 2 months since we moved to Durham and we are still trying to get settled.  We love living in Durham, and working and attending The Summit Church.  Our housing situation has been challenging with lots of repairs that needed to be addressed shortly after we moved in.  Our landlords have been great, but it has made it difficult to feel settled.  We love living in our house on 1610 University Drive and still believe that God has led us here, but perhaps for reasons that deal with some heart issues.  The unsettledness of moving reveals how easily I am discontent and discouraged and attach my joy to my circumstances.  So, I am learning to rejoice in all things and to be content in all circumstances and to attach my joy to Jesus and what he has done.  This has been a wrestling match for me – and as you can imagine, I’m not much of a wrestler!  But I am grateful that God is taking us through these things because I really do want to be more like him and less like KJ.

Since The City Project started I have also found renewed energy as I’ve begun developing relationships with the 23 students and all the staff and volunteers.  We have already traveled to New York City and are now back in Durham interning with community organizations and Summit pastors as well as taking a seminary philosophy class through South Eastern.  The 23 students are experiencing ways of leveraging their lives for the advancement of the gospel in Durham, New York and around the world.  They are getting to share in the lives of people who are pouring themselves out in response to the gospel through the local service organizations, The Summit Church, church planting in NYC and missionaries in Kenya and Malaysia - where they will go at the end of the summer.  It is wonderful to be a part of all of this and I’m excited to see what God does with the lives of these students. 

Please pray for us.  We really need to find some additional supporters, so please pray and consider or perhaps reconsider supporting us.  I would love to talk with you about why we are doing what we’re doing and why God might want you to be a part of our support team.  Thank you so much to the 45 families and 2 businesses that are supporting us.  We are so grateful for your support and allowing us to have this ministry!

No comments:

Post a Comment